Friday, March 11, 2011

Bilbao!

Welcome to my new blog.

This blog will explore a variety of topics, but it aims to focus primarily on sustainability and renewable energy as I travel through Spain, Italy, and France during the next 10 weeks.  I'll also be sure to comment on the food and wine I sample along the way.  I'm also going to be running a half marathon at the end of April, so expect some posts on running in Europe.  Finally, from time to time, I'll be biking, so cycling friends shouldn't feel left out.

My main purposes for being in Europe are 1) to teach at universities in Pamplona, Spain, and Trento, Italy, 2) to learn more about Europe's sustainable cities initiatives and its renewable energy systems, and 3) use these experiences to develop some expertise in these areas.  I'm incredibly excited about all of these opportunities.  I'm also very grateful to have the opportunity to experience them.  I'll welcome your thoughts and comments as I travel along.

I'm writing this from my first stop in Bilbao, Spain.  Bilbao was a heavily industrialized city for many, many years that fell on hard times when steel production slowed down in Western Europe.  After a long period of depression, Bilbao decided to invest in the arts and culture as a way to revive its economy.  It welcomed the amazing Guggenheim Museum (more on that later), and invested in infrastructure improvements, like a subway and pedestrian bridges and light rail, all designed to make the city more livable and welcome to tourism.  From my perspective, these efforts have paid off.

I was particularly captivated by the tracks for the EuskoTran, the city's light rail.  As the attached photos show, the light rail tracks actually sit in grass fields, not in cement.  They create green spaces in places that would otherwise be paved and, in my view, make for a very appealing aesthetic.  Beyond that, the grass absorbs water that could otherwise run off into the nearby river, and thus reduces the potential stormwater pollution.  Finally, the grass probably helps ever-so-slightly with carbon sequestration and localized temperature control, since vegetation in urban areas can mitigate the urban heat effect.  Very cool!  (Ha, no pun intended.)

One last thought about the grass patches:  they fit in quite well with other smart transportation options.  The circular patch is also a roundabout.  Various studies show that roundabouts work better than stop signs or lights in managing traffic and improving fuel economy.  Also note in the picture with the roundabout the designated bike lanes and the huge amounts of pedestrian-only space.  From my short time here, I can say that all of these alternative transportation options receive a lot of use.  It's nice to feel so inspired after only one day.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to follow you through the next few months, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete